I had a big realization this week. I don't want to work for "the man" anymore. I don't want to grow up and be poor like my parents. I need to work smarter, not harder. I had an interesting conversation with my older brother, and he explained a lot of his experiences and gave me some sound advice, as well as some book recommendations. I read one book already and it compounded on that same realization. Man I have been so stupid. I have been working since I was 18, straight out of high school. That means I have been working for 7 years.
In the past 7 years, I have earned over $360,000. After all this hard work and solid income, what do I have to show for it? well I paid off a lot of dept from making expenses above my income in previous years. But after that .. let's see....
-7 years worth of W-2's showing the government taxed 35% of it
-$12k in credit card debt.
-$15k in debt on a former "new" car I'm making payments on.
-A house that is foreclosing
-A motorcycle I paid cash for
-$3k in a 401k from previous employer i have left sitting around
-Braces for my teeth that are in-progress I paid $5.5k upfront for.
-Bunch of designer clothes worth very little used.
-Credit score of 599
-No savings.
Total value = (-)$30,000
Wow. I am dumb. Its been a fun 7 years, but I need to get things on track. For the next year...
-Stick to budget geared towards 25-30% savings
-Groceries > Eating out
-No buying new clothes except underwear.
-Pay off credit card debt ASAP, it is mean and evil
-Save at least 25% of gross income to be used for investments
-Start a money market account. Earn interest off savings.
-Invest some in stock market. High risk, high returns.
-Use the heck out of my BoA debit card. Any uneven dollar amount purchase, they contribute the remainder to make up a full dollar into my savings account. "Keep the change" program.
-Transfer my Merrill Lynch 401K to something that I can use and grow as an asset.
I am confident I can have $100k in assets in the next 3 years.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, now read those goals every day. Here's another good one: Think and Grow Rich. That book is one that changed my life. Also: The Way of the Peaceful Warrior
Read Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. It is simple and a good guided to saving money and getting out of debt in the most logical way possible.
Post a Comment